In this 5-day Virtual Personal Outcome Measures® Workshop, you will start with the basics and leave being able to conduct actual interviews and collect baseline data. This virtual event includes interactive components, lively activities, group collaboration, and more, to educate and empower attendees to effectively use the Personal Outcome Measures®.
CQL will show you the Personal Outcome Measures® process, share how it will help in person-centered approaches, and reveal its relationship to person-centered planning and organizational strategic planning. Attendees will learn about decision-making with the POM, including the variables that could inform if outcomes and supports are present, along with common challenges you may face in making determinations. By the end, you’ll be able to carry out interviews and gather data, while also being provided a printed-copy of the Personal Outcome Measures® manual. The Personal Outcome Measures® Workshop also serves as the first step towards CQL Certification, if attendees choose to pursue it.
* Please review the refund/cancellation policy in the FAQ section below, prior to registering.
About the Personal Outcome Measures®
The Personal Outcome Measures® (POM) is a powerful tool to ensure supports and services are truly person-centered. In a Personal Outcome Measures® interview, people receiving services share information about the presence, importance, and achievement of outcomes. Their support providers then discuss the services that the organization has in place for those outcomes. These interviews cover quality of life areas involving choice, health, safety, social capital, relationships, rights, goals, dreams, employment, and more.
The insight gained during a Personal Outcome Measures® interview can then be used to inform a person-centered plan, improve individualized supports, track progress, and assess effectiveness. At an aggregate level, agencies can use this data to analyze initiatives, evaluate organizational priorities, and report results to stakeholders.
This Virtual Personal Outcome Measures® Workshop will use two different programs to create a dynamic and engaging experience for presentations and participation. CQL Quality Enhancement Specialists will use Zoom as the training platform, where all attendees will interact with cameras on. Microsoft Teams will be utilized for all other tasks – managing materials, scheduling, communication, etc. If attendees are conducting interviews virtually, they can use their preferred online platform.
- Monday 4/26/21, 9:00am – 5:00pm CT – presentation and activities
- Tuesday 4/27/21 – conduct POM interviews
- Wednesday 4/28/21, 9:00am – 5:00pm CT – presentation and activities
- Thursday 4/29/21 – conduct POM interviews
- Friday 4/30/21, 9:00am – 5:00pm CT – presentation and activities
A more detailed agenda is included below. Times are subject to change.
This workshop has reached its maximum capacity, but you can view additional workshops taking place in 2022.View Workshops
Thank you for your interest in this Virtual Personal Outcome Measures® (POM) Workshop. To maintain a high level of engagement and interaction, the maximum capacity for the POM Workshop is 12 participants. Due to high interest in this event, all of the open spots have been filled and registration is now closed.
2022 POM Workshops
If you are interested in attending a Virtual Personal Outcome Measures® (POM) Workshop at a later date, CQL has scheduled numerous workshops throughout 2022 – some of which still have seats available. Please register for a workshop as soon as possible, since these events fill up quickly.
CQL Director of Personal Outcomes
Michael Clausen began his career as a Direct Support Specialist in 2002. Michael has been using the Personal Outcome Measures® (POM) for over a decade. His passion for the POM is a result of his first-hand experience in utilizing the tool. He has presented at conferences internationally, and recently, led the initiative to adapt the POM workshop into a virtual format.EMAIL ME
CQL Quality Enhancement Specialist
Jill Westring has more than 30 years of experience in human services, including program development and oversight, consultation, training, and supervision. Jill’s involvement in CQL began in 2001, following a few years as a Personal Outcome Measures® trainer.EMAIL ME
CQL Quality Enhancement Specialist
Kristen Heichel has been a Quality Enhancement Specialist for CQL beginning in 2018. Since 2010, Kristen has maintained Personal Outcome Measures® Trainer and Interviewer Certification for Children and Youth, and has conducted many POM interviews across the lifespan.EMAIL ME
If the substitution doesn’t impact the attendee responsibilities or the overall success of the workshop, attendee substitutions may be requested. Please contact CQL to discuss your options.
- No refunds will be issued at any time, if the cancellation causes CQL to have to cancel/reschedule the workshop.
- No refunds will be issued less than 6 weeks before the start date of the workshop.
- If there are emergency circumstances that fall within 6 weeks of the workshop, please contact CQL to discuss your options.
In some cases, attendees might be able to transfer their registration to a different Virtual Personal Outcome Measures® Workshop:
- If a transfer is requested more than 6 weeks before the start date of the workshop, and CQL is able to fill your empty seat, a transfer may be permitted.
- If a transfer is requested less than 6 weeks before the start date of the workshop:
- If CQL is able to fill your empty seat, a transfer may be permitted.
- If CQL is unable to fill your empty seat, a $200 transfer fee may be imposed.
- Virtual Personal Outcome Measures® Workshops require 10 or more participants.
- If there are fewer than 10 people registered three weeks prior to the start date of the workshop, CQL reserves the right to cancel/reschedule.
- Anyone having already paid registration fees can transfer those funds to another CQL training, or receive a full refund.
Anyone who works for a human services provider organization, and has an interest in person-centered discovery and the achievement of outcomes involving the lives people with disabilities, is welcome to attend. It is also required that each attendee has access to their own computer – multiple attendees can not participate in the workshop from the same computer.
Absolutely. This workshop is designed so that individual professionals in the human services field – not necessarily working for the same organization – can attend and participate in the workshop. Considering that the workshop is designed so that participants ‘pair up’ to conduct Personal Outcome Measures® interviews, CQL has developed some strategies in the case that you are the sole attendee from your organization.
Each attendee must have access to their own computer – multiple attendees can not participate in the workshop from the same computer. Participants should also have a reliable internet connection, as the workshop relies on virtual presentations and interactions. The workshop also requires that attendees have their computer cameras turned on to increase attendee engagement.
Attendees are also responsible for recruiting and identifying people receiving services and someone who supports them or knows them well, for the practice interviews and making arrangements involving those who are participating in the two (2) Personal Outcome Measures® interviews. Completion of this task is essential for a successful workshop. Attendees will not be able to participate in the workshop and registration fees are not refundable if required deadlines are not met in scheduling interviews.
The CQL Quality Enhancement Specialists who are conducting the workshop will assist attendees with this process in advance of the workshop.
Absolutely! We have specifically tailored our approach to this training to keep our virtual audience engaged. CQL has conducted multiple pilots of the Virtual Personal Outcome Measures® Workshop to ensure it’s an informative and fun experience for participants. We incorporate numerous games, compelling discussion, group activities, and more to create a unique event for our attendees.
“The online platform worked very well. We had a very full experience of the training,” says Tara Kiene, President and CEO of Community Connections in Colorado. “Everyone on our team agrees that it was time well spent.”
Virtual POM Workshop Agenda
Here is a general overview of how the week is structured and what to expect. CQL will be in contact prior to the workshop to discuss arrangements, materials, schedules, etc. and provide a detailed agenda. Please note that exact times are subject to change in the detailed agenda.
Monday 4/26/21, 9:00am – 5:00pm CT
- Introduction to the Personal Outcome Measures® (POM)
- Exploration of the concept of quality
- Overview of interviewing with the POM and making decisions
- Preparation for the first round of practice interviews
- In pairs, participants conduct a practice interview. The interview might be done in person or via a virtual platform depending on current circumstances.
Wednesday 4/28/21, 9:00am – 5:00pm CT
- Decision-making with the POM
- Preparing for the second round of interviews
- In pairs, participants conduct a second practice interview. The interview might be done in person or via a virtual platform depending on current circumstances.
Friday 4/30/21, 9:00am – 5:00pm CT
- Refining decision-making skills
- Applying the POM
- Wrap up